Newton House built between 1608 and 1612
In a quiet valley on the outskirts of Yeovil lies a Jacobean manor house known as Newton House which has been presiding over half a mile of the river Yeo since its completion in 1612. The house formed the centre piece of a very large estate known as Newton Surmaville, named after a French family the de Salmonvilles from a small village near Rouen, who first built a mediaeval house on the site where the current house now stands.
A very wealthy local merchant named Robert Harbin built the house and successive generations of the family enjoyed the property for 399 years, until following the death of Sophie Rawlins (nee. Sophie Wyndham Bates Harbin), the house was sold for the first time in its history, in 2007.
Robin and Jane Cannon decided to take on what was to be a gargantuan renovation project both of the house and the gardens. Sixty acres were purchased with the house, forty in Somerset and twenty acres on the other side of the river, in Dorset. The enormous restoration project of both Newton House and the magnificent gardens are now complete.
The Gardeners Cottage has also been fully restored and provides very comfortable and eclectic accommodation for two people for a wonderful relaxing break.
Once visited... never forgotten!